COUCH TO 5K/FASTER 5K PROGRAM
The Couch to 5K is a gentle introduction to getting the body moving, starting off alternating between walking and running small distances, and slowly building up until after 10 weeks, you’re ready to run 5 kilometers or 30 minutes nonstop.
The plan’s manageable expectations offer early success, which serves as motivation to stick with it. When runners have mastered the 10-week program, many are content to stick with the 5K, while others move on to bigger challenges. Either option is better than sitting on the couch.
No matter which path C25K graduates choose, after two months they will no doubt realize the mental and physical health benefits of running. Running not only burns more calories than other forms of exercise, but also helps lower the risk of early death due to diabetes, some cancers and cardiovascular disease. Additionally, running gives your mental health a boost, as exercise releases endorphins, the hormones that make you feel good
The Couch to 5 K program is a walk/run program that has been designed to ease participants into running. The goal of this program is to turn participants into runners. This means there will be three sessions a week that are 30-60 minutes long that involve intervals of walking and running. It is important to have breaks in between these days for your body to recover. The program is not about running as fast as you can: it’s about getting fit. Therefore, over the 10 weeks there will gradually be more running and the goal is to increase the distance/time you are running over the weeks.
Now that you’ve been running for a little while and improved your endurance, you may want to focus on a new goal — running faster. This group will be introduced to tempo and interval training as well as hill training.
Both programs will lead up to the Tim Hortons Joe McGuire Road Race on July 28th. This is for anyone willing to make the commitment to participate in the 5 K run.
There are many advantages to group training, and together the leaders and members of this group will help each other reach their goals. (See attached document).
- The group will meet at the Woodstock Farm & Craft Market on King St.
- The runs will usually be along the NB trail behind the Farm & Craft Market. The sessions leading up to the race may be similar to the race route. Further information about this will be given to the group at a later date.
- Be sure to join the Facebook page Couch to 5K-Woodstock. This will be an important method of contact and information, and any questions you have can be asked here.
- Due to weather, sessions may be cancelled or moved into the arena.
- Registration fee is $90 which includes the following:
- A 10-week program, 3 sessions per week, led by 2 motivational coaches.
- 2-3 clinics (training related topics).
- Access to a closed Facebook group to stay connected with other participants.
- Registration into the Tim Hortons Joe McGuire Road Race ($30 value).
- An opportunity to make a lifestyle change…Priceless!